Wacky 9's Fun Scramble
Sunday, May 19th
$15 per person plus $5 for mulligans
Call 814-938-9760 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up
2013 Men's Member-Guest
Friday, June 7th - Practice Round
Saturday, June 8th - Event
Sunday, June 9th - Event
The Punxsutawney Country Club located in Western Pennsylvania became a legal organization in 1904. The course was originally designed by ….. and built as a nine hole course, but was expanded in 1974 to eighteen holes of championship golf. The course is a traditional layout, which features tree lined fairways, and fast bentgrass greens. It is a very challenging course featuring rolling hills and undulating greens that require a variety of golf shots through each of its eighteen holes. The championship tees measure over 6,600 yards while the regular tees measure an average of 6,200 yards. The course has over 40 bunkers and three water hazards.
The clubhouse is a beautiful setting for your wedding reception, banquet, or golf outing. The clubhouse at the Punxsutawney Country Club offers a full service golf shop, grille room, and banquet facilities for seating up to 200 people.
We hope that you consider the Punxsutawney Country Club for your next round of golf, tournament, or party. Please contact us for more information.
1899 - Although the PCC did not actually become a legal organization until 1904, plans for the club existed back in 1899. With an original membership of 46, the Carmalt Farm, which was a 100-acre property (owned by the R & P Coal Company) was the site for the potential 9-hole course. 3 Holes were built in 1899; the second 3 built in 1900; and the final 3 in 1901. These 9 holes measured 2,473 yards, and would eventually have their own names (in order) – High Hopes, Lane, Highway, Hazard, Dale, San Juan, Piedmont, Columbus, & Home. The farmhouse was used as a clubhouse, and a barn was also used for autos and equipment.
1904 - The Punxsutawney Country Club became a legal organization.
1907 - The Carmalt Farm was purchased from R & P Coal Company for $4,000. Also, plans to expand the clubhouse were iniated. A porch was added to 3 sides of the clubhouse, and lockers, a bath and social rooms all took form. (This clubhouse would remain in function until 1998.) A tennis court, as well as a Roué court was also constructed. Caddies were available for $.10.
1915 - Water lines were installed to all greens. Several new greens were built, expanding the yardage to 2,777. Par was established at 33.4.
1923 - Walter Hagen and Aussie, Joe Kirkwood played an 18-hole match at Punxsutawney Country Club. Hagen shot a 73, while Kirkwood shot 66.
1926 - A league consisting of 8 Clubs was formed to play team matches, each team consisting of 11 golfers. League included Ridgeway, Brookville, Kittanning, New Bethlehem, Dubois, Indiana, Latrobe, and Punxsutawney.
1927 - A private plane (piloted by A.P. Kerr) utilized #9 fairway in an emergency landing. He was on route from Philly to Dubois, and was lost. He received direction, and was off. Several fairway plane landings took place in the 20’s & 30’s, with no fatalities.
1935 - An additional 28 acres was purchased from the R & P Coal Company, for $300.00. A total of 2800 Pine seedlings were donated, and planted on the hills behind the Clubhouse. Thousands more Pine, Spruce, & Chestnut seedlings were planted the following year, on the hill which now lines hole #6. A bar was constructed in the clubhouse (despite many protests), shortly after the end of Prohibition.
1937 - Social Memberships ($10) were first introduced.
1939 - A 20’ x 30’ addition was added on to the Clubhouse. Dues were as follows: Golfing: Man - $25, Man/Wife - $35, Ladies - $10, Out of Town - $15, Social: Men - $10, Man/Wife - $15.
1941 - The rebuilding of #7 & #9 was complete. Membership totaled 240.
1942 - Due to the war, golf ball manufacturing had seized until 1945, causing golfers to send used balls to be re-conditioned. Caddies made big profits on the sale of lost balls.
1944 - For the first time, the club reported no debt.
1946 - Club was fined $400 for possession of 6 slot machines.
1974 - The second nine was completed.
1999 - The new clubhouse opened for events.
Today - The Punxsutawney Country Club remains a true club, with no ownership, operating as a non-profit organization.